What Is Endometriosis? What Causes Endometriosis?
/* 468x60, */
The expression endometriosis comes from the Greek endon essence "within" and the Greek metra allusion "uterus", akin to Greek meter meaning "mother". The locution osis comes from the Greek and/or Latin suffix meanings "affected with, condition, abnormal process". The Medilexicon medical dictionary says endometriosis is "Ectopic adventure of endometrial tissue, frequently forming cysts containing altered blood." (ectopic = not in its correct place, not in its proper position).
Endometriosis is a contingency in which cells that are usually found inside the uterus (endometrial cells) are fashion growing absent of the uterus. That is, the lining of the inside of the uterus is endow outside of it. Endometrial cells are the cells that shed every month during menstruation, and so endometriosis is most likely to affect women during their childbearing years. The cellular growth is not cancerous, but benign. Though there are not always symptoms, it can be painful and first place to other problems. The lining of the uterus consists of a type of tissue called endometrium - composed of endometrial cells - that thickens everyone month to prepare for an egg. It is here where an egg cell implants and grows if it is fertilized. Provided an ovum is not fertilized, the endometrium breaks down and exits the body during the menstrual period.
Endometrial cells that cultivate out of the uterus - normally on the ovaries, fallopian tubes, outer wall of the uterus, or intestines - are called implants. However, these implants proceed from the identical replica as the endometrium lining the uterus of getting thicker, breaking down, and bleeding. Problems occur whereas these growths are away of the uterus, and the blood cannot flow elsewhere of the body. This can lead to the formation of mark tissue and cysts as right as difficulties getting pregnant.
Who is at risk of endometriosis?It is estimated that endometriosis affects over one million women in the United States, and most cases are diagnosed in women between 25 and 35 caducity of age. However, due to many women have no symptoms, the exact prevalence is unknown. The condition is very unusual in postmenopausal women. Other risk factors for endometriosis accommodate being fair (compared to African American and Asian), being tall and thin with a low intent bulk index, being infertile, and delaying pregnancy until older ages.
What causes endometriosis?We discharge not know the exact causes of endometriosis, however there are several theories. Researchers do discriminate that the hormone estrogen, which is at its highest levels during childbearing years, is practicable to contribute to endometriosis. Other possible causes of endometriosis include:
- Retrograde menstruation - when endometrial tissue is deposited in unusual locations in that of menstrual flow that backs up into the fallopian tubes and abdominal cavity.
- Ceolomic metaplasia - the areas lining the pelvic organs enjoy positive cells that can arise into other forms of tissue such as endometrial cells.
- Surgery - endometrial tissues are directly transfered elsewhere the uterus during episiotomy or Cesarean section.
- Blood and lymph systems - endometrial cells excursion via the bloodstream or lymphatic system to distant places such as the brain and other places far from the pelvis.
- Immune step problems - cause the body to not recognize and break down cells or tissue that is growing where it should not be.
What are the symptoms of endometriosis?Although most women with endometriosis do not compass symptoms and symptoms vary from woman to woman, the succeeding symptoms annex been established to occur:
- Pain in the pelvis, lower belly, rectum, vagina, or lower back. Despondency may only come off at persuaded points in the menstrual cycle, during sex, during bowel movements, during ovulation, or all the time.
- Abnormal bleeding such as heavy periods, spotting or bleeding between periods, bleeding after sex, or blood in the urine or stool.
- Diarrhea and/or constipation
How is endometriosis diagnosed?In order to diagnose endometriosis, a physician testament investigate family medical history, symptoms, menstruation activities, and the patient's now state of health. It is besides common for doctors to direct a pelvic exam, which may contain an dialogue of the vagina and rectum (rectovaginal exam). One diagnostic strategy is to prescribe treatment for endometriosis and clock what happens; an improvement after medication usually indicates that the botheration was endometriosis.
Imaging tests, such as ultrasounds, attractive resonance image (MRI) tests, and CT scans further may be employed to case for ovarian cysts. However, the only way to be certain that a patient has endometriosis is through laparoscopy - a thin, lighted tube with a camera on one end that is surgically inserted into the belly to eyeful for implants, defacement tissue, or cysts. If laparoscopy is unavailable, it may be compelling to plain a larger-incision laparotomy. Either of these surgical methods can again administer tissue samples with which to administer biopsies, which are as well exceptional for ruling outside diseases such as ovarian cancer.
How is endometriosis treated?Although there is no cure for endometriosis, there are some ace treatments. Treatment options depend on the limit of the patient and can differ if the woman wants to get pregnant or is focused on treating pain. The two most common public classes of treatment are medicines and surgery.
Medicine treatments for endometriosis are summarized below:
- Pain medicines (NSAIDs or anti-inflammatory drugs) such as ibuprofen or naproxen sodium are designed to reduce bleeding and pain associated with menstrual cramping and the pelvis.
- Birth discipline pills can reduce sadness and shrink implants, but cannot be used by women wishing to incline pregnant.
- Hormone therapy (such as gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogs, danazol, and progestins) recurrently stops menstruation and shrinks implants, but it can effect effects, provide matchless temporary pain relief, and will prevent a woman from becoming pregnant.
- Aromatase inhibitors interfere with district estrogen formation within the endometriosis implants themselves.
Surgical treatments are summarized below.
- Laparoscopy removes implants and blotch tissue, reducing grief and often aiding fertility.
- Laparotomy is recommended for lenghty disease with distorted anatomy.
- Hysterectomy (removal of uterus) is a last resort for severe pain.
- Oophorectomy (removal of ovaries) is too a carry on resort for severe pain.
How can endometriosis be prevented?There are no noted methods for preventing endometriosis, and it is not a disease that can be contracted or caused by anyone or anything admitted to the patient.
Video: Empathetic Endometriosis - Illumistream Health
News on WomenÂ s HealthFor the recent advice and test on WomenÂ s Health, and to indication up to newsletters or announcement alerts, please holiday our Women s Health section.
Links to endometriosis articles
- Endometriosis Doubles Risk Of Premature Birth
- Endometriosis risk reduced whether you eat extra fruit and grassy vegetables
- Pine Bark Significantly Reduces Endometriosis, New Discover Finds
- Scientists Diagnosticate Possible Element Of Endometriosis
- Uncontrollable Stress Worsens Symptoms Of Endometriosis
Copyright: Medical Counsel Nowadays
Not to be reproduced without permission of Medical News Today
/* 468x60, */
Last relative articles:
- Bill To Expand Insurance Coverage Of Contraception For Teens Fuels Debate In West Va.
- Latest Abstinence Study Does Little To Quell Sex Education Debate
- Also In Global Health News: Boosting Banana Production; Measles Vaccines In Bangladesh; NTDs; Burkina Faso Maternal Care; Health Care, HIV In S.A.
- Restrictions On Female Plasma May Not Be Warranted
- New Book Suggests Workplace Gendered Tradeoffs Lead To Economic Inequalities For Women
- Helix BioPharma Announces Positive Interim Results From Its Ongoing Phase II Pharmacokinetic Clinical Study Of Topical Interferon Alpha-2b
- Breast Cancer Rates Decline Most For Affluent White Women
- Middle School Abstinence Education May Be Too Late, Los Angeles Times Column Says
- Treating Herpes Does Not Reduce HIV Transmission, Study Finds
- NPR Features Interview With Co-Author Of New Abstinence-Only Study
endometriosis, causes endometriosis, endometriosis causes, symptoms endometriosis, endometriosis articles, endometriosis risk, endometriosis disease, endometriosis treated, endometriosis imaging, endometriosis written