Could Eating Chocolate Reduce Your Risk Of Having A Stroke?
/* 468x60, */
Eating a bar of chocolate a week could help prevent strokes, according to Canadian researchers.
Scientists conducted a study of 50,000 people and found that those eating chocolate were 22 per cent less likely to suffer a stroke than those who didn't. In addition, people who had a stroke but regularly ate chocolate were 46 per cent less likely to die as a result.
The researchers claim that the reason for the findings could to be that the food is rich in flavonoids, an anti-oxidant.
Note of caution
However, the scientists were also keen to stress that it is important to keep in mind that eating too much chocolate will affect a person's weight, as chocolate is high in saturated fats.
More research needed
They also warned that more research will be needed to look into the possible link between eating chocolate and reducing the risk of stroke.
Stroke is a diabetic complication
Stroke and heart disease are common complications of diabetes.
Don't start eating a lot of chocolate
"We already know that there are compounds found in chocolate, called flavonoids, that are thought to provide some protection from heart disease," said Libby Dowling, Care Adviser at Diabetes UK.
"Nevertheless we certainly don't advise people to start eating a lot of chocolate, as it's very high in sugar and fat, and we always recommend that people with diabetes eat a diet low in fat, salt and sugar with plenty of fruit and vegetables."
/* 468x60, */
Last relative articles:
- High Levels Of Vitamin D In Older People Can Reduce Heart Disease And Diabetes
- High-Fat Ketogenic Diet To Control Seizures Is Safe Over Long Term
- Adding Rosemary To Beef Decreases Cancer-Causing Agents
- GM Crops Can Help Bolster Global Food Security, Scientists Say In Special Journal Issue
- Preliminary Data Show Possible Health Benefits Of Eating Chocolate
- Baked Rhubarb Could Help Fight Cancer
- Humanitarian Groups Express Concern That Haiti Funding Might Affect Efforts In Other Crisis Countries
- What Is Norovirus Infection? What Causes Norovirus Infection?
- National Diet And Nutrition Survey Published
- Can Chocolate Lower Your Risk Of Stroke?
chocolate, eating chocolate, chocolate reduce, chocolate cent, chocolate saturated, chocolate week, chocolate affect, chocolate reducing, chocolate already, chocolate called