Dangers Of Older Allergy Drugs Often Underestimated And Overlooked
A joint GAВ LEN /EAACI report to be published in "Allergy" and available online on 8 February reviews new data on the treatment of allergies with older antihistamines compared with newer, second-generation H1-antihistamines. The research was funded by GAВ LEN, an EU-funded Network of Excellence.
The findings suggest that first-generation H1-antihistamines not only make patients drowsy, but also reduce rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, impair learning, and reduce efficiency at work the next day. In addition, first-generation H1-antihistamines have been implicated in numerous civil aviation, motor vehicle, and boating accidents, and even deaths as a result of accidental or intentional overdosing in infants and young children. First-generation H1-antihistamines have also been linked to suicide cases in both teenagers and adults.
New generation antihistamines on the contrary have shown an equivalent efficacy to treat symptoms while clinical studies and patients report fewer adverse effects. The review ultimately questions whether, for consumer protection reasons, first generation H1-antihistamines should still be available as over-the-counter self-medication.
Antihistamines are most frequently used drugs for treating seasonal and chronic allergic diseases such as allergic rhinitis, urticaria, atopic dermatitis. More than 30% of the EU and US population are potential users, safety is thus paramount.
Source: GAВ LEN
Added: 14 февраля 2010
Последние публикации по этой теме:
- Association Discovered Between Eczema In Early Childhood And Psychological Problems In Children At Age 10 Years
- Examining Link Between Childhood Asthma, Sleep And School Performance
- Could You Be Allergic To Valentine's Day?
- New Insights Into Allergy-related Disorders In Children
- Britons May Be Avoiding Wheat Unnecessarily, UK
- Switch Identified That Activates The Allergic Response
- Circassia Extends Its Clinical-Stage Portfolio With Phase II Trials Of T-Cell Vaccines Against House Dust Mite And Cat Allergies
- New Biological Models Of Homeopathy Published In Special Issues
- Scientists Crack Peanut Code In Children
- Sciele Introduces Adrenaclick trade; epinephrine Injection, USP Auto-Injector For The Emergency Treatment Of Anaphylaxis
- Allergy Vaccinations Reduce Children's Health Care Costs By One-Third
- Osteopontin Contributes To Allergic Contact Dermatitis
- Imaging Tests Identify Role Of Allergies In Chronic Sinus Disease
- What Is Wheat Allergy? What Causes A Wheat Allergy?
- Your New Year's Celebration Can Cause More Than A Hangover
Комментариев:  / Оставить комментарий