In Naming Islamic Conference Envoy, Obama Highlights Global Health, Food Security Efforts
During a video address to the 7th U.S.-Islamic World Forum meeting in Doha, Qatar, on Saturday, President Barack Obama appointed Rashad Hussain, deputy associate White House counsel, to serve as Special Envoy to the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC), the Associated Press reports. As the president's liaison to the OIC, Obama "said Hussain will continue working to repair U.S.-Islamic relations and develop the types of partnerships Obama called for when he addressed the Muslim world during a speech last year in Cairo. ... Obama recounted efforts by his administration to foster partnerships with Muslims on education, economic development, global health, and science and technology," the news service writes (Superville, 2/14).
"Since the president's speech to the Muslim world, the U.S. has worked with the OIC on eradicating polio," Politico reports. "Polio remains endemic in three Muslim-majority countries - Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan - and in India, where it disproportionately affects Muslim communities" (Allen/Rozen, 2/13).
"[W]e're partnering to promote global health," Obama said during his address, which was posted online by the White House. "We worked together to address H1N1, which was a concern of many Muslims during the hajj. ... And as part of our increased commitment to foreign assistance, we've launched major initiatives to promote global health and food security around the world" (2/13).
This information was reprinted from globalhealth.kff.org with kind permission from the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. You can view the entire Kaiser Daily Global Health Policy Report, search the archives and sign up for email delivery at globalhealth.kff.org.
© Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. All rights reserved.
- What Is Dengue Fever? What Causes Dengue Fever?
- Study Examines Family Lineage Of King Tut, His Possible Cause Of Death
- Genomic Warfare To Counter Malaria Drug Resistance
- BioMerieux's VIDAS R SLM, An Officially Recognized Method SM For Testing Salmonella In Black Pepper
- Recent Releases In Global Health
- Bacteria-Killing Proteins Cover Blood Type Blind Spot
- Rapid Flu Tests Work Better In Kids Than In Adults
- European Medicines Agency And Swissmedic Agree Sharing Of Information On H1N1 Pandemic Medicines
- Haitian Death Toll Climbs To 230,000, Government Says
- Antibiotics As Active Mutagens In The Emergence Of Multidrug Resistance