Read Shows Relationship Between Atrial Fibrillation And Augmenting Of Alzheimer's Disease
/* 468x60, */
Researchers at Intermountain Medical Center in Salt Lake City believe that they have made a breakthrough connection between atrial fibrillation, a quite common love rhythm disorder, and Alzheimer's disease, the leading form of dementia among Americans.
In a glance at presented May 15, at "Heart Rhythm 2009," the annual scientific sessions of the Feelings Rhythm Society in Boston, researchers unveiled findings from the scan of else than 37,000 patients that showed a forceful contingency between atrial fibrillation and the method of Alzheimer's disease.
The study, which drew upon confidence from the Intermountain Emotions Collaborative Study, a comprehensive database from hundreds of thousands of patients treated at Intermountain Healthcare hospitals, found:
- Patients with atrial fibrillation were 44 percent added credible to fashion dementia than patients without the passion disorder.
- Younger patients with atrial fibrillation were at higher risk of developing all types of dementia, chiefly Alzheimer's. Atrial fibrillation patients under interval 70 were 130 percent expanded doable to foster Alzheimer's.
- Patients who admit both atrial fibrillation and dementia were 61 percent aggrandized feasible to die during the study period than dementia patients without the rhythm problem.
- Younger atrial fibrillation patients with dementia may be at higher risk of annihilation than older AF patients with dementia.
"Previous studies obtain shown that patients with atrial fibrillation are at higher risk for some types of dementia, including vascular dementia. But to our knowledge, this is the first off large-population study to clearly fireworks that having atrial fibrillation puts patients at worthier risk for developing Alzheimer's disease," said Dr. Bunch.
Alzheimer's is a devastating brain disease affecting environing 5.3 million Americans. It is the most common cast of dementia (a common term for life-altering loss of fame and other cognitive abilities), and accounts for 60-80 percent of all dementia cases. Today, it is the sixth primary originate of decease in the United States.
Currently, the common risk factors for Alzheimer's are age, family history and genetics, though injury may further be linked with the disease. Affection health has high been suspected to play a role, on the other hand has not been linked. The Intermountain Medical Center peruse bolsters that connection.
"The study shows a connection between atrial fibrillation and all types of dementia," said Bunch. "The Alzheimer's findings - expressly the risk of bereavement for younger patients - cleft new ground."
Atrial fibrillation is the most bourgeois heart rhythm problem, affecting about 2.2 million Americans. It occurs when the heart beats chaotically, substantial blood to pool and possibly clot. Provided the clot leaves the heart, a stroke can result.
The Intermountain Medical Center announce looked at five years of facts for 37,025 patients. Of that group, 10,161 developed AF and 1,535 developed dementia during the interpret period.
The discover authors asseverate more proof is needed to explore further the contact between atrial fibrillation and the developing of Alzheimer's disease.
"Now that we've established this link, our limelight will be to see whether early treatment of atrial fibrillation can prevent dementia or the development of Alzheimer's disease," says cardiologist John Day, M.D., director of heart rhythm services at Intermountain Medical Centre and a co-author of the study.
Intermountain Medical Center
/* 468x60, */
Last relative articles:
- Use Of Statins Increases The Risk Of Developing Type 2 Diabetes But Reduces Coronary Events
- Heart Failure Worse When Right Ventricle Goes Bad
- Cooling Inflammation For Healthier Arteries
- Experts Identify Why Women And African Americans Face A Greater Risk Of Dying From Heart Disease Than White Men And What Can Be Done About It
- New Book Helps Pharmacists Play Larger Role In Heart Health
- Novel Screening Technique Identifies New Effects Of Approved Drugs For Cardiovascular Disease
- Compound Shows Promise Against Intractable Heart Failure
- Researchers Find Air Pollution Linked To Progression Of Atherosclerosis
- Heart-Assist Device Helped Ready 16-Year-Old For Successful Surgery
- Seven Signs That May Warn Of A Rare Heart Condition
atrial, atrial fibrillation, relationship atrial, patients atrial, connection atrial, chiefly atrial, contingency atrial, younger atrial, fireworks atrial, ground atrial