Glance at Examines Tale PFO Closure Step
/* 468x60, */
A new device designed to quick a commonplace heart defect avowed as a patent foramen ovale (PFO) is safe and direct at 90-days pursue up, according to a latest study released at the Kingdom for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (SCAI) 32nd Annual Scientific Sessions in Las Vegas.
PFO is a common condition in which a gap that connects the two upper chambers of the affection (atria) during foetal developing fails to rapid properly after birth. About 25 percent of the universal population has PFO, which is associated with an increased risk of stroke. PFO may further be associated with migraines and decompression illness in divers.
The FlatStent EF, developed by Coherex Medical,Inc., is unique since it is implanted within the PFO tunnel, leaving a minimal amount of the device exposed to circulation, which could reduce the risk of blood clots. The mechanism of action of the FlatStent EF should borderline the incidence of other hefty complications associated with septal patching devices currently in use, such as erosion, persistent arrhythmia, and valve apparatus distortion.
In the study, 29 of 41 patients (70.7%) who received the FlatStent EF™ PFO Closure Operation had outright PFO closure at once adjacent implantation. After 90 days, 17 of 19 patients (89%) had complete or clinical closure. The remaining 22 patients had not yet completed the 90-day supersede up exam.
"The FlatStent is designed to be safer and easier to use than happening PFO closure systems," said Horst Sievert, MD, professor of internal medicine, cardiology and vascular medicine at the Cardiovascular Centre in Frankfurt, Germany, and the study's principal investigator. "Given the number of patients living with PFO, the results of this study display promise in providing additional treatment options that could cooperate prevent stroke and other conditions associated with PFO."
In the study, no device-related complications were reported. The 100-patient, multicenter registry scan is designed to evaluate 30, 90 and 180-day safety and performance.
Kathy Boyd David
Homeland for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions
/* 468x60, */
Last relative articles:
- Use Of Statins Increases The Risk Of Developing Type 2 Diabetes But Reduces Coronary Events
- Heart Failure Worse When Right Ventricle Goes Bad
- Cooling Inflammation For Healthier Arteries
- Experts Identify Why Women And African Americans Face A Greater Risk Of Dying From Heart Disease Than White Men And What Can Be Done About It
- New Book Helps Pharmacists Play Larger Role In Heart Health
- Novel Screening Technique Identifies New Effects Of Approved Drugs For Cardiovascular Disease
- Compound Shows Promise Against Intractable Heart Failure
- Researchers Find Air Pollution Linked To Progression Of Atherosclerosis
- Heart-Assist Device Helped Ready 16-Year-Old For Successful Surgery
- Seven Signs That May Warn Of A Rare Heart Condition
pfo, pfo closure, tale pfo, pfo study, pfo tunnel, pfo results, pfo associated, pfo further, pfo common, pfo safe